Sunday, July 3, 2022

Smug Guardian

 Song 622: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Vigilante Man  by Woody Guthrie, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Somehow I got all the way to Song 589 (Roll On Colombia) before it occurred to me to add Mr. WG to this group, so I want to honor him more as this collection gets longer. His birthday comes on 7/14, and he would have reached 110 this year had he lived, but sadly, he died at half that age, due to having Huntington's disease (a condition I mention in my book Expecting the Broken Brain to Do Mental Pushups because I knew someone personally who had that ailment). Developing my own singer/songwriter style when the 1970s arrived and I approached the end of my second decade, I became a fan of other prominent singer/songwriters such as Bob Dylan, and I soon found out how the Woody fellow had set the groundwork for those of us crafting and performing solo musical rambles. I had known about Guthrie's most famous anthem This Land Is Your Land during my HS years and I also heard about a certain eatery that his son Arlo got attention for on the airwaves, but I learned and appreciated a lot more of Woody's original moving excursions at the 1970s unfolded. In that era, I sometimes rambled 'round from town to town, and on stormy days I passed the time away, even sleepin' in some good warm place when I could. Fortunately, I never got herded around like a wild herd of cattle and I never saw a vigilante man with a sawed-off shot-gun in his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment