Sunday, April 10, 2022

Passionate Illness Gloom

 Song 610: This week the playlist comes around to Lovesick Blues by Hank Williams, written by Cliff Friend and Irving Mills, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. It initially amazed me when I realized that I had passed #300 on this number set before including Mr. Williams in the group. I made Honky Tonkin'  Song 301 in May of 2016, and since then, I've added 6 of his other movers, commemorating how he had gotten my attention and admiration very early on. During my single-digit years in the 1950s, my family visited the Ohio relatives every summer, and residing with my aunt and uncle, I got to listen to their amazing country music LP collection. Doing so, I soon got to know, and relish, this classic shiner. Hank had originally performed the piece in his opening appearance on the Louisiana Hayride radio show in 1948, and the favorable response motivated him to record his own version and then reease it in eary 1949. The 45 soon topped the charts, becoming his biggest hit, and understandably so. While HW had died well before I got to hear and know his music, I savored his compelling legacy during most of my first 2 decades, also at some point riding along a biographical film about him that raised my respect even more. Personally, if I'm in love with a beautiful gal and that's what's the matter with me, that seems like such a beautiful dream I would hate to think it's all over and I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, but if that's the case and I don't know what I'll do, I guess all I could do is sit and sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment