Sunday, August 16, 2020

A Pleasing Communication

 Song 525: This week on the playlist you can hear Words of Love by Buddy Holly, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I mistakenly believed that the Fab Four and the British Invaders has created RnR when they rocked my world in early 1964, and though, as time went on, I did get clues that some of the Beatles cuts I liked had actually appeared as chart toppers for other folks a bit earlier, I didn't really know the story until the 1970s rolled around. As the new decade unfolded, so did a radio 1950s revival, and my Rolling Stone subscription filled in a lot of the details. As some point I learned that this tune was yet another cover, and hearing the original version deepened my respect for the Buddy who had done the record back in the 1950s. Later I got a greatest hits LP of his which included this track, and I found it even more impressive how many studio gems he had crafted in such an unfortunately-short career that came to a sad sudden end. Thankfully Holly left behind discs that let us hear him say the words we would all want to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment