Sunday, August 9, 2020

Fortunate Timing

 Song 524: This week the playlist recognizes Lucky Day by Rank and File, written by Chip Kinman and Tony Kinman, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. In the early 1980s, my friend Eddie Spitzer started his music instrument business in the back of a record store on Telegraph Ave., and I spent a lot of time there with him, which meant that I got to hear some records that I might otherwise not have heard, with Sundown by Rand and File being a prime example. I really liked their cowpunk thing, and I soon purchased my own copy of their initial LP, which then got a lot of spins on the turntable. This marks the 4th appearance of a Sundown cut on this list, with the title track being Song 377, Coyote being Song 279, and The Conductor Wore Black being Song 180. These days, with the unfolding pandemic situation, I would never know if today was going to be my lucky day, but regardless, I would clearly understand that if love slipped away, it meant so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment