Sunday, April 21, 2019

An Adventure He Didn’t Ask For


Song 456: This week’s playlist track is Big Time in the Jungle by Old Crow Medicine Show, written by Critter Fuqua, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Back in 2017, when I started a Spotify playlist called Dave Elder's Favorite Anti-war Songs (which you can hear by clicking on the title), I mainly wanted to showcase If I Was You, but soon, a couple of interesting suggestions came my way, this being one. After a single viewing of the YT video, I not only decided to add the tune to the Spotify playlist, but I also added the video to my short list of favorite anti-war song videos. Today I finally got around to creating a YT playlist of that group, calling it Dave Elder's Favorite Anti-war Song Videos (and you can watch that bunch by clicking on the title). That collection now includes a couple of recent recommendations from Facebook queries and replies, as well as this cut. I have seen the story in these lyrics repeated far too many times over the decades - a young man got his life turned upside down and his smile turned into a frown as the bombs started fallin' and they pounded his brain. He didn't ask for a fight or a rumble, but the army man showed up, got him signed up, and then surprised him with a Big Time in the Jungle that he didn't really want or need.

No comments:

Post a Comment