Sunday, April 7, 2019

A Lovely Lover's Name

Song 454: This week the playlist applauds Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly, written by Buddy Holly, Jerry Allison and Norman Petty. I first heard this hit on a night in the late summer of 1965, camping out with a friend on his front lawn and listening to his transistor radio. I know the time frame because of the other cuts we heard during that escapade - particularly Eve of Destruction (Song 146), which sounded scary, mainly because it seemed to quite accurately depict the then-current moment. That night, I did not know this piece was a golden oldie, but I really liked it a lot. When the early 1970s rolled around, and a 1950s RnR revival widened my knowledge and appreciation of the first generation rockers, I came to admire and respect Buddy Holly, especially for the impressive number of excellent recordings that he created in a very short career that ended with his sudden death at the age of 22. I acquired at least one LP of Holly hits, which of course included this classic. I also still clearly recall the lively scene in The Buddy Holly Story that features this tune - it's a spinner so rare and true that still, well over six decades after its release, how my heart yearns, and I want you, Peggy Sue.

No comments:

Post a Comment