Sunday, August 9, 2026

A Wave

 Song 833: This week the playlist rides on Ripple by Grateful Dead, written by Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter, and you can find a cool YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. In the fall of 1970 I began my sophomore year at Northwestern University, and in the Evanston apartment that I shared with three fellow students, I had a friend who had become a big fan of the GD quintet and he liked introducing me to their new vision of a moving wave. Being a word-game player myself, during that era I gave the band the nickname The Dreadful Grape but I did like hearing their excursions. As I developed my own style, I hoped to have songs to fill the air, wanting my words to glow with the gold of sunshine. Regularly heading down a road somewhere between the dawn and the dark of night, I often found a path that was for my steps alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment