Sunday, July 26, 2026

Vagrant Feline Shades

 Song 831: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Stray Cat Blues by The Rolling Stones, written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, and you can find a cool YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Soon after the Fab Four rocked my world in February of 1964, a bunch of their fellow British Invaders did tunes that climbed the charts, and when the summer of the following year arrived, their circling pebble colleagues grabbed my attention with their complaint about inability to acquire gratification. That anthem made them the top competitor to the Liverpool quartet, and three years later they continued to rock hard while J,P,G & R headed in a psychedelic direction. I might have heard this accusation on the radio during my final HS senior-year months during the winter and spring of 1969, but I definitely did get to hear it regularly in the fall of that year after I moved into a room of a dormitory at Northwestern University. The guy who resided in the room across the hall from me had a very large album collection and a high-quality record player, and the RS five ranked as his favorite band, so I got to hear plenty of their songs that I already knew, plus some other interesting ones that I didn't initially recognize. At the time, I was very far from home, but I did not miss my mother, since I could, and would, regularly get to visit her and the rest of the family in the coming years. I was no mad-brained bear and I certainly had at least one friend who was wilder than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment