Sunday, January 7, 2024

Occassionally During the Cold Season

 Song 701: This week the playlist comes around to Sometimes in Winter by Blood, Sweat & Tears, written by Steve Katz, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. This tune, and the album that it resides on, appeared shortly before the Christmas of my HS senior year, and a couple of the record's other tracks - most notably Spinning Wheel - got a lot of attention in the following months of 1969. While residing with my folks and brothers, I could not afford to buy an LP, even if my parents had given me permission to do so, which they probably would not have done for any of the devil's music which they despised, so I might not have heard this cool anthem at that time. Living in Bobb Hall at N.U. the following year, I did get to hear a lot more of the music I liked, thanks to some fellow students who had impressive disc collections, so Sometimes in that Winter, hearing about frigidity repeatedly got me moving along with this beat. I had decided during that era to spend whatever little amount I could afford to mainly build my own stock of 33s and bypass live shows, but in my college sophomore year I made an exception to the rule and bought a ticket for a BS&T concert - one of very few that I experienced. These days, Sometimes in winter I gaze into the streets and walk through snow, but thankfully, the chilly Northeast temperatures in my region rarely, if ever, have the kind of negative numbers that the frigid Windy City daily highs and lows often do in a new year’s first few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment