Sunday, January 14, 2024

Provide a Bit of Illumination

 Song 702: This week the playlist recognizes Shed a Little Light by James Taylor, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. The fellow who inspired this JT 1993 anthem got shot and killed on April 4 of my junior HS year, and similar to the official story of the JFK assassination that had happened a few years earlier, and the authorized statements about the RFK assassination that occurred a couple of months later, the approved narrative about 4/4/68 did not sound right to me. A year and a half down the road, when I resided in the Chicago area as a university student, the Fred Hampton murder happened, and soon enough, I found out from dependable sources about how the FBI got local law enforcement to execute him, so those facts further validated my conclusions about the butchery of MLK, Jr. The more I've learned about him, the greater my respect has grown, and when one of my favorite singer/songwriter stars did a melodic tribute to him in the late summer of 1993, I thought he said some things really well. As a holiday arrives tomorrow that honors Mr. King, we know we Can't get no light from the dollar bill or any real light from a TV screen, but the King guy DID shed a little light and help us to recognize that there are ties between us - all men and women living on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment