Sunday, October 1, 2023

Carnivore Appendage

 Song 687: This week on the playlist you can hear I’ve Got a Tiger By the Tail by Buck Owens and the Buckaroos, written by Harlan Howard and Buck Owens, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I began paying more attention to local music radio stations after the Beatles rocked my world in February of 1964, and about a year later, a guy named Buck started grabbing country music listener ears with a tale about seizing a body part of a member of the largest living cat species. Most of my friends listened to RnR and pop stations, but I had a few buddies who also shared my interest in country tones as well, so as Mr. Owens' 45 climbed the charts, I did get to enjoy it at least a few times. In addition, since my parents did not disparage the C&W sound the way they did the RnR one, I could freely catch this BO hit from the transistor radio at home during my second junior high year, and if I did, it would not set off the kind of negative reaction that the devil’s music would trigger from family members. Back then, I already understood how romantic attraction to someone who had no response could make a person feel as helpless as a leaf in a gale.

No comments:

Post a Comment