Sunday, October 8, 2023

Requesting Transportation

Song 688: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Hitchin’ a Ride by Vanity Fare, written by Mitch Murray and Peter Callander, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. A few months before the 1970s arrived, I began residing in Bobb Hall at Northwestern U., and doing so, I soon got to expand the musical horizons that had faced major limits while growing up in a family that maligned the devil's music. All of my new friends enjoyed sharing with me their favorite rockers and rollers, plus I could openly listen to a lot more of the radio stations that caught my attention, and around the days when the weather started getting warmer, a new rumbler about stretching out the thumb started grabbing my ears and taking me along its rhythmic excursion. While I could imagine myself making such a move, I don't think I had ever done so up to that point, and I could not have guessed then how many times in the next few years I would go Hitchin’ a Ride, often on my own, but also a bunch of times with my romantic partner. On top of that, in July of 1978 I would stand by a freeway entrance a bit west of Chicago, my thumb would go up, and soon enough, I was on my way to the SF Bay area, because, thankfully, a few drivers DID stop and help a guy get to where he (I) wanted to go. Ride, ride, ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment