Sunday, September 24, 2023

Locality Shades

 Song 686: This week the playlist applauds Statesboro Blues by the Allman Brothers Band, written by Blind Willie McTell, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When I got on a plane in Chicago in June of 1971, I had never heard of the Allman Brothers, and neither had any of my Evanston companions, but soon after I got off that plane in Atlanta, GA, I started hearing about the group, and hearing some of their recordings, since most of the neighborhood folks I hung out with that summer knew about and really liked their local RnR heroes. I enjoyed the ABB sounds crossing my ears, and less than a month after I arrived, the six put out a new double disc that gave us all some additional reasons to appreciate them. This striking ride opens the excursion around the live LP that raised the sextuplet to a whole new level of public appreciation, which those of us paying attention to the band got to hear plenty of in the stretch following its release. When I got back to Evanston shortly before fall arrived, I found out that I didn’t need to tell my buddies there about a remarkable Atlanta-area rock gang because the spinning At Fillmore East 33 had captured their ears as well. Now, over five decades later, once again, I woke up this morning and I heard them Statesboro Blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment