Sunday, July 25, 2021

Amiable Youngster

 Song 573: This week the playlist recognizes Sweet Child by Pentangle, written by Terry Cox, Bert Jansch, Jacqui McShee, John Renbourn and Danny Thompson, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Sometimes it surprises me how far I have gotten along this list when I include a cut by a group or soloist that marks yet another first appearance in the tally. As the 1970s unfolded and I greatly expanded my musical horizons while creating my own singer/songwriter style, I would encounter acts like Pentangle that I had not previously known about who crafted sounds that fit my circle perfectly. I had become a Donovan fan during my HS years, and not long after adding Sunshine Superman to my LP stock, I found out that the subject of Bert's Blues had a last name of Jansch and belonged to this particular quintet, so I soon acquired one of their 33s as well, and it got lots of spins on the turntable. I myself have heard that there are brave men who could save our souls with kind and gentle hearts and love is their gold, though I might also guess who could shoot them down. Meanwhile, where has the pretty flower in the darkness gone? I don't claim to know but maybe we shall see, and perhaps it won't be long. For now, won't you lay yourself down and rest? You'll probably do yourself some good if you let your mind relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment