Sunday, July 18, 2021

The Flow of Passion

 Song 572: This week the playlist applauds Water of Love by Dire Straits, written by Mark Knopfler, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. In the middle of the summer of 1978, I held out my thumb and hitch-hiked away from the Chicago area where I had spent most of that decade, arriving in the East Bay of San Francisco in about a week, and the first DS LP showed up a couple of months later. I liked what I heard of it on the radio, and one of my closest folkie colleagues had become a big fan of the four, so he soon convinced me that I should give the quartet some major focus. By the time I added the 33 to my collection, I already knew that I enjoyed it quite a bit. This cut followed the Side 1 opener Down to the Waterline and kept the energy flowing, although it did so with a bit deeper current. Fast forward to April of this year, and the US VP admitted that past wars have been fought over oil, but asserted that in the near future, WATER will turn into a cause of armed conflicts. Lately, plenty of people have felt high and dry in the long hot day, with a lot crying out for some soothing rain but sadly, too many conclude there ain't no water here to be found. In certain places, once there was a river but now there's a stone. However, maybe someday baby when the river runs free it's gonna carry that water of love to those who really need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment