Sunday, March 7, 2021

An Amorous Halt

 Song 554: This week the playlist applauds Stop! In The Name Of Love by The Supremes, written by Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier and Eddie Holland, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Mary Wilson, who performed as a member of this trio back when they released this hit in the winter of 1965, would have celebrated her 75th birthday yesterday if she hadn't left the land of the living back in February, so it seemed like an appropriate moment to add this chart topper to the list. I don't remember exactly when this cut first got my attention, but it definitely enlivened my HS days, and I quickly learned the lines well enough to sing along whenever it came to my ears. Now, in the era of social distancing, we find ourselves having to Stop! In The Name Of Love rather than visit those we care about to share our love and affection, leading to many more secluded nights for lots of folks. Even big city dwellers see a lot less people walk down the street these days. How will this end? I won't claim to have an answer - my advice is just to think it over. Think it over!

No comments:

Post a Comment