Sunday, July 26, 2020

A Hearty Rhythm

Song 522: This week the playlist comes around to Shakedown Street by The Grateful Dead, written by Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I hitch-hiked from Chicago to northern CA in the summer of 1978, and in the fall of that year, a new GD album came along. I don't remember how it happened exactly, but I did get to hear this title track a number of times, and I enjoyed it, even though it supposedly embodied the band’s sellout to the disco trend, which did not interest me at all. Fast forward four decades, and as the current pandemic situation has unfolded, a number of times it has looked like there was nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street, which used to be the heart of town, but don't tell me this town ain't got no heart because honestly, you just gotta poke around. The virus scene might make it appear as if the sunny side of the street is dark, but well, you can never tell, and so, don't tell me this town ain't got no heart when I can hear it beat out loud, and personally, I like the sound of that beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment