Sunday, May 31, 2020

Having a Job To Do

Song 514: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week's entertaining jog Get Back to Work comes from my good buddy Joe Giacoio, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I first saw his name when he signed onto my mailing list (back in the days before email) following a set I did at a folkie club in The Bronx. I got to meet him not long after that, and we soon became close friends, to the point that when he did his 1997 CD Superman's Midlife Crisis (which features this cut) I actually did some of the photo and layout work for the project, and enjoyed doing so. The lyrics on this track always make me smile, as I treasure the way Joe parodies the tough boss types, pointing his finger at God and the angels, asking them if they have nothing to do but sit around singing. As our society slowly reopens following the pandemic, I wish the workers well, but unfortunately, I expect that far too many of them, if and when they do Get Back to Work, will face the kind of ridiculous behavior that Joe makes fun of in this tune. I'd personally like to see the manager tell the angels they need to earn their wings this year, but the sad reality is that he's more likely to direct his wrath at the ones who can't fly away.

No comments:

Post a Comment