Sunday, April 5, 2020

Have to Travel

Song 506: This week the playlist applauds Louie Louie by The Kingsmen, written by Richard Berry, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. The main reason to feature this track this week is that Saturday, 4/11, just so happens to be Louie Louie Day. Also, The Kingsmen actually recorded their version on 4/6, so tomorrow will be the 57th anniversary of that particular session, which ended up costing the band $50, according to the Wikipedia article about it. I'd say that the quintet definitely got their money's worth from that studio adventure, and the rest of us got a very captivating spin out of the deal. I don't recall the first time I got to hear the cut, but I believe that at some point during my HS years it showed up on my radar as a classic golden oldie, and I certainly agreed with that assessment. It also didn't take long to learn how to play it, and the piece would often enliven guitar circles that I joined at various events, whether chosen by me or some other member of the group. At such entertaining gatherings, I would rarely think how I'll make it home, but I would enthusiastically jump in with the chorus when it came time to sing Let's go, even though most of us at that moment were not really thinking about leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment