Sunday, April 12, 2020

A Basic Rule of Fingerboard

Song 507: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week on the playlist you can hear A Riff in Time from my good buddy Gregg Cagno, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. While I don't recall ever hearing him do this tune during the era when we were hanging around the same stages, the Riff in Time - actually, many of the riffs, along with a few of the lines - certainly do sound familiar. He and I both made our way through many of the same late-night scenes, campfire circles and open-mic dreams, as well as different ones in unrelated spheres, and along those journeys, we both learned this riff that's rollin' around that has been onstage in many a town. Like my good friend, I also heard it first in a Steamroller Blues, and he's correct in asserting that Tradition's passed along with no one keepin' score, so If it sounds good, good chance it's been done before. Perhaps we could call that a basic rule of fingerboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment