Sunday, June 30, 2019

Now Moving Along Quickly


Song 466: This week the playlist features the sound of Wabash Cannonball by Hank Thompson, written by A.P. Carter and William Kindt, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. During the 1960s, my family would visit the OH relatives for a couple of weeks in the summer every other year, and during our stays there, I would have free use of my aunt and uncle's stereo record player and their extensive country music stash. This cut became a quick favorite for both my older brother and me, and we would often sing along together with the track. The tune opened a very cool country hits collection which also included major numbers by Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb, Kitty Wells, Patsy Cline, etc., and I'm not clear at this point if the version of this song on the LP was the Hank Thompson one. I remember the recording as having more of a bluegrass flavor than the video I linked to here, but I also know that HT did have a bluegrass version as well, which featured backup by a group called His Brazos Valley Boys. I used to have a link to a YT video of that one, but it no longer lives where it once did, and I could not find another link to a video of it. Regardless of the specific details, though, it still sounds good to listen to the jingle, the rumble and the roar, to hear the might rush of the engine and the lonesome hobo's call.

No comments:

Post a Comment