Sunday, July 7, 2019

Feelings Colored by an Elevated Viewpoint


Song 467: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Blues from an Airplane by Jefferson Airplane, written by Marty Balin and Skip Spence, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Not long after I began my freshman year at N.U., I started an LP collection that soon included Surrealistic Pillow. That 33 became a constant spinner and forever favorite, but I also knew that the group had released their debut album some months before that well-known classic appeared, and I suspected that I might treasure their earlier effort almost as much, so at some point, I acquired my own copy of Jefferson Airplane Takes Off. This cut opens the record, and by the second verse, I felt sure that I had made a very good purchase. So what's that sound around my heart? Well, these days, it's not something new - it's something well over 5 decades old, but whenever I hear it, I know that the love the band put into this track must be real.

No comments:

Post a Comment