Sunday, March 17, 2019

A Constructive Way to Get Somewhere


Song 451: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week the playlist comes around to Build a Bridge from Both Sides by my good friend Terry Kitchen, who also wrote the song, which appeared on his 2009 CD Summer to Snowflakes, and you can find a YouTube video of the cut by clicking on the title. A couple of years ago, when creating a Spotify playlist called Me and My Songwriter Friends (which you can hear by clicking on the title), in the process, I combed through friends' recordings on Spotify, finding some very good stuff I hadn't heard before, and I mixed the shiny new gems with some familiar favorites as the playlist took shape. I would rank this tune as one of the best new discoveries from that undertaking, and as timely as the lyrics might have been at the records' release, they have an even stronger resonance a decade later. Indeed, the only way to make it across the great divide is to build a bridge from both sides, and not a barrier.


No comments:

Post a Comment