Sunday, March 10, 2019

She Looked Too Familiar to Him


Song 450: The week the playlist comes around to Centerfold by The J. Geils Band, written by Seth Justman, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When this hit came along in the fall of 1981, it made a big splash, and I heard it a lot, without really making any effort to do so. A fun tune, and musically alluring, it also stirred some annoyance in me over the moralistic POV expressed in the words, though I never let THAT interfere with my pleasure in the record. However, it did strike me as hypocritical that the singer who enjoys perusing centerfolds would feel revulsion when discovering revealing photographs of a personal acquaintance. In fact, I had, a decade earlier, told my female companion of the time that I thought her attractive enough to grace top girly mags like Playboy and Penthouse, and that I would feel honored (and NOT disgusted) if she ever showed up on their pages. While To see her in that negligee Is really just too much for one fellow, it would never make my blood run cold. It's OK, though - I understand This ain't no Never-Never Land, so I can enjoy the ride without having to agree with every turn that the lyrics might make.

No comments:

Post a Comment