Sunday, August 11, 2024

Roasting Precipitation

 Song 732: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Summer Rain by Johnny Rivers, written by Jim Hendricks, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Given how much downpour we've had in my neighborhood over the past week, it seems appropriate to feature a song that focuses on warm falling moisture. This roaming weather report actually arrived in the late fall of 1967 as I rolled through my junior HS year, and JR mentions how during the previous warm season, the jukebox kept on playin' Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I knew exactly what he meant by that, and at the time I still did not know what to make of the new psychedelic direction that the Fab Four and some other prominent rockers had decided to start rumbling around. I could, however, easily picture a romantic partner who had stepped out of the rainbow with golden hair shinin' like moon glow, and as this song’s numbers got higher and the thermometer numbers got lower, I enjoyed imagining the warmth that such a companion could bring to moments when the snow drifts by my window and I could hear the North wind blowin' like thunder.

No comments:

Post a Comment