Sunday, December 17, 2023

Small Male Percussionist

 Song 698: This week the playlist applauds Little Drummer Boy by Harry Simone Chorale, written by Harry Simeone, Katherine Kennicott Davis and Henry Onorati, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I started hearing this Yuletide carol regularly around this time of year, back during my single-digit stretch in the late 1950s. While I don't recall seeing the 1959 segment from the Ed Sullivan Show that appears in the YouTube video, I may very well have done so because during that era, the family and I usually watched that show on Sunday nights. Back in the late 1950s and early 1960s, as December unfolded, I would join friends and schoolmates to mouth favorite noel anthems, and this one became part of the collection. A few months before that 1959 holiday season, I had become a little violin boy, and I could enjoy fiddling Christmas melodies, but because I was a poor boy too, I also had no gift to bring that would have been fit to give the King. However, I would have happily played my best for Him, even though I could have never made any pa rum pum pum pum sounds with my strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment