Sunday, July 2, 2023

Religion Founder

 Song 674: This week the playlist applauds Mr. Crowley by Ozzy Osbourne, written by Ozzy Osbourne, Randy Rhoads and Bob Daisley, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. In October of 1980, when the live version of this rocker, which got captured in the linked YT video, started making people wonder whether a certain guy did, or did not, talk to the dead, I had lived in a very nice spot in Oakland, CA, for a little over 2 years. I enjoyed hearing the question, but I did not know that it referred to the founder of the Thelemite religion - I thought it might be a general criticism of anyone who claims to talk to the dead. I had walked away from religion 8 years earlier, but I do not dismiss those who follow the principles of their mystic belief and I don't claim to have all the answers. When I was growing up, my grandfather worked for a local milk company named Crowley, though I doubt it had any connection with Aleister. Shortly after he died in early 1994, I felt as if I sensed the old man's presence a few times - that was what went on in my head, though I did not try to talk to the dead. Regarding religion, I have noticed similar phenomenon most of my adult life, so it did not surprise me in 2016 when the majority of evangelicals evidently believed that God had chosen for POTUS a guy who 2 decades earlier had characterized those who try to follow the principles of The Sermon on the Mount as idiots, fools and schmucks. I also noticed that an older woman who I knew DID try to follow and exemplify Christian values did NOT think God had picked the Donald, even though she did identify as a Republican. She probably felt, as I do, saddened by those who found themselves standing with their backs to the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment