Sunday, June 11, 2023

A Distinctive Feminine Type

 Song 671: This week the playlist recognizes I'm That Kind Of Girl by Patty Loveless, written by Matraca Berg and Ronnie Samoset, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Not long after I moved to Brooklyn at the end of the summer in 1988, I discovered a local country music radio station that shared some interesting New Country tunes. I swiftly concluded that the pieces gathered around the NC term had a similar sound to the ones that were labelled country rock back in the 1970s. I had liked that tone then, and I felt pretty good about the updated version crossing my ears a couple of decades later. I soon got impressed by a Patty classic Hurt Me Bad (In a Real Good Way) (Song 520), along with one or two of her other gems, and when her Greatest Hits disc arrived in 1993 I had to add a copy to my collection. The album got lots of spins on the player, and I quickly understood that the singer was not the woman in red or the girl next door. During my HS phase I became a love-sick fool and I wished I could have had the honor to carry all the books in school for the one who lit my fuse, but that obsession never developed into a real romance. In the early 1990s, I decided to ask the question Should Patty Loveless? as part of my song As Long as Merle is Still Haggard (which you can hear and see a YouTube video of by clicking on the title). Knowing that she’s That Kind Of Girl, I think we have the answer to that enquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment