Sunday, October 16, 2022

Muddled by Illumination

 Song 637: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Blinded by the Light by Manfred Mann's Earth Band, written by Bruce Springsteen, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I don't recall whether songwriter Bruce's version of this ride crossed my ears when it first arrived near the beginning of 1973, but I do remember that this MMEB rendition rode the airwaves quite often 4 years later and I definitely enjoyed taking that melodic trip whenever it came out of the speakers. While I've included a few other Springsteen movers in this bunch, such as Pink Cadillac (Song 299), this hit marks the first Manfred appearance in this collection. During its charting phase, as I prepared step-by-step my plan to head to the West Coast the following year, I felt certain that I would relish checking out the weather chart in the San Francisco region much more than doing so in the Chicago area where I had resided. When I started pointing my thumb westward the next summer, I needed a ride a few times, including shortly after I visited a childhood friend in Denver on the way, but soon enough, with hitcher's good fortune, I got what it takes to get a very close view of the SF Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment