Sunday, March 20, 2022

Repeated Arrival

 Song 607: This week the playlist applauds Here You Come Again by Dolly Parton, written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Ms. Dolly first showed up on my radar in 1973 as I started to become a Maria Muldaur follower. Maria's debut LP highlighted the Parton saga My Tennessee Mountain Home (Song 310) which I truly relished, and once I began paying attention, I saw and heard more and more from DP. A few years later, in October of 1977, as I prepared to face my final winter in the frigid Chicago area, this sparkler appeared as the opener, title track and top hit for her 19th solo studio album. In recent years, she has had her name (and her image) on a number of books, including one that I saw featured on a visit to Barnes & Noble a couple of days ago. As I mention in verse 2 of my song As Long as Merle is Still Haggard, Dolly, beg your Parton, puts up a good front (and you can find the Merle video on YouTube by clicking on the title). Similar to what happened the last time around, now, just when we'd begun to get ourselves together, here they come again to lie those pretty lies, just for messin' up our minds and fillin' up our senses.

No comments:

Post a Comment