Sunday, February 20, 2022

Endless Timing

 Song 603: This week the playlist comes around to Everyday by Buddy Holly & the Crickets, written by Buddy Holly and Norman Petty, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When the Beatles rocked my world 58 years ago in February, I knew nothing about the moving pioneers who had inspired them, such as a certain Buddy who had a backup band with an insect name. I wrongly thought the British Invaders had created RnR, and I didnt learn the real story until the phase where, as an independent young adult, I could dig deeper into the sound that moved me. The HS night I first heard Peggy Sue (Song 454), I really savored it, but I had no idea it was a golden oldie from nearly 8 years before. In the early 1970s, as I found out more about the first generation rockers, I added some major classics to my LP collection, including a Holly greatest hits 33, so I got to hear, and relish, a bunch of ground-breaking sparklers like this entertaining ramble. It makes sense to feature Buddy this month as well as the Fab Four, since, sadly, Mr. Holly’s life ended with a plane crash on a February day in 1959. Not being a fan of the cold, I do feel glad that Everyday spring, its a-gettin closer, even though the low temperatures probably wont be goin faster than a roller coaster, because, regardless of the thermometer reading, Everyday seems a little longer, and, in every way, the lights a little stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment