Sunday, September 6, 2020

An Expensive Destructive Set of Wheels

 Song 528: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week's entertaining opus Smashed Up Cadillac comes from my NJ buddy Joe Canzano (AKA Happy Joe) who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I lived in his neighborhood when I released Elder Street in 2009, and not long after, in 2010, he released Big Mouth, which features this track, along with a number of other standouts, like Song for the Next War (Song 10) and Workers (Song 444). I soon added the CD to my iPod, and it quickly became one of my favorites. Ironically, Joe had once said to me that musicians' friends usually don't listen to the personal acquaintance CDs given to them, and that might often be true, but I know that I have listened to Big Mouth a lot over the last decade, and I really appreciate the record. This cut outlines a nefarious character who has million-dollar donors, who drives an expensive big car and who can't wait to run over all your stuff. Joe told me that Dick Cheney inspired the driver image, although these days, I guess he'd agree with me that the U.S. political stage has a number of others who could fit the description of someone having bodies scattered across his hood while he himself is feeling like a man who's sure that acts of his are always pure. Can you think of someone besides Cheney who has got flags and bumper stickers and a God who's on his side as he puts a whole town in terror? I would bet you probably can.

No comments:

Post a Comment