Sunday, February 16, 2020

One Very Simple Question

Song 499: This week the playlist applauds What Part of No by Lorrie Morgan, written by Wayne Perry and Gerald Smith, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. During the middle of the 1980s while I lived in the East Bay area of CA, I remember at least two or three of my female friends invoking this What part of no question when referring to an incident where a guy approached them in a public setting and tried to assert himself romantically despite their repeated negative responses which he refused to acknowledge in any way, and I enjoyed the clever sarcasm of the phrase, so when a country song based on that entertaining query came along in the early 1990s, I relished the hit, which also features a compelling musical framework and a talented woman's voice. When I acquired my iPod back around 2008, I created a short 9-track Favorite 1990s Country playlist, with this cut being one of the two LM tunes to grace the group. I certainly understand the singer's POV here, and in such a circumstance, I'd be glad to explain if it's too hard to comprehend, though the point implied by the snark is that the fellow being asked the question does not want to recognize rejection to his advances, no matter how obvious such rebukes become.

No comments:

Post a Comment