Sunday, February 23, 2020

Be Careful Where You Step

Song 500: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week's enticing ride Eggshells comes from my singer-songwriter colleague Patti Rothberg, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. My studio partner David Seitz introduced me to her and her music back around 2003, and her work greatly impressed me after only a couple of spins. I soon found that I liked every track, which, given my critical tendencies, does not happen all that often. This cut showcases her melodic talent - an all-too rare quality of modern music - coupled with her clever lyrical wordplays that enliven most, if not all, of her recordings. While many times I catch the layered meanings of her lines, she has personally alerted me to at least one or two that I missed, which ended up making them sound even better. If you've never heard this piece, after one listen you'll probably realize that in the world of eggs there is a general malaise, some of us would be mummies (although not me, of course, being a male) and some of us mayonaise. Of course, even the first time around, you'll in all likelihood understand that chorus advice - Don't talk, don't even walk on eggshells.

No comments:

Post a Comment