Sunday, February 9, 2020

A Small Amount That Counts

Song 498: This week the playlist comes around to Spoonful by Howlin’ Wolf, written by Willie Dixon, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Cream introduced me to this tune with their expansive version that came along in the winter of 1967 during my sophomore HS year (and that will probably appear on this list within a few weeks). I couldn't own any 33s while living with a family that despised the Devil's music, but I had friends who did have a copy of Fresh Cream and so I did get to hear that trio's rendition quite often. A few years later, at the turn of the 1970s, living on my own in the Chicago area, my expanding musical horizons included learning about local music legend Howlin’ Wolf and coming to appreciate his many contributions, such as the multiple ways that he had influenced a high percentage of the British Invasion crew, with Clapton and Co. among the crowd of clapping fans. The Howlin’ record sounded pretty good to me the first time I got to hear it, and the sliding sounded ever better the more it graced my personal airwaves. You could fill a spoon full of coffee, or you could fill a spoon full of tea, but I don't particularly care about either of those, and though a spoon full of gold would certainly have some value, a little spoon with precious love might actually be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment