Sunday, October 20, 2019

An Ongoing Search in Vain


Song 482: This week the playlist recognizes I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2, with lyrics by Bono and music by U2, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I had become a U2 fan not long after Under a Blood Red Sky appeared, and I had gotten to see them when they played a show in the SF area in 1987, so when Rattle and Hum arrived in the fall of 1988, not long after I moved to Brooklyn, I soon got my own copy, and it became a regular spinner on my turntable, with this cut being one of the more memorable tunes. At the time, I too could have said that I have run, I have crawled, I have scaled these city walls, I have run through the fields, and I have climbed a high mountain, though I wouldn't necessarily have claimed I went up the highest mountain. Back then, I also hadn't found what I was looking for, and though I wouldn't make that complaint these days, I still like hearing Bono do it. Personally, I don't recall ever having held the hand of the devil, but I can understand that if someone did so, it was warm in the night when it happened. While I don't believe in the kingdom come when all the colors will bleed into one, and I would hesitate to say that I have spoke with the tongue of angels, I do feel certain that I have kissed honey lips and felt the healing in her fingertips, and anyone who has can be thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment