Sunday, August 18, 2019

Something Shiny and Valuable


Song 473: This week the playlist recognizes Silver Dollar by Thin Lizzy, written by Brian Robertson, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I found out about Thin Lizzy from hearing Wild One (Song 296). I liked that tune so much, I decided to get a copy of Fighting, and the LP had some other gems, including Spirit Slips Away (Song 410) and this cut. The quartet got a lot more attention when they released their follow-up 33, thanks to a hit called The Boys Are Back in Town, but that one didn't impress me, and I didn't bother to get their chart-topping Jailbreak because I thought the album I already had sounded better, and I still think so. This track has the line My roots are in Chicago, and personally, my roots were not in The Windy City, but I was living in that area when this one came along, though at the time, I really didn't know where I might want to plant my seed. During that stretch, I also had no silver dollars, but when my father died in 1996, I found one in his wallet, so now I could possibly bet a silver dollar, though even if I did, I’m not sure it would make me rich. Yet, regardless of how the coin might roll, I do feel quite certain that this number is an easy pitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment