Sunday, December 16, 2018

A Moving Self-Analysis


Song 438: This week on the playlist you can hear Just Dropped In by Kenny Rogers & The First Edition, written by Mickey Newbury, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Hits like this one would sometimes rattle the inner conflict I felt during my HS years between my personal obsession with the devil's music and my parents'/grandparents' condemnation of it. I would feel some guilt over my enjoyment of lines about tripping on a cloud and falling Eight Miles High (Song 435), but I never had any interest in actually experiencing drug-induced aeronautics - I could relish the entertaining way that the singer shared his adventure, but it never made me want to take that kind of ride. I couldn't imagine any pleasure in pushing my soul into a deep dark hole and then following it in, and I did not want to get so uptight that I couldn't unwind, but I could have fun listening to a singer share those moments in an intriguing musical way, so I Just Dropped In and got a kick out of what condition his condition was in.

No comments:

Post a Comment