Sunday, November 25, 2018

Flying a Bit Higher Than Others


Song 435: The week the playlist can take you to Eight Miles High by The Byrds, written by Gene Clark, Jim McGuinn and David Crosby, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I heard about the controversy over this 45 when it came out, but I don't think I actually heard the single at the time. Due to an accusation that the record encouraged drug usage, many radio stations refused to air it, and our local top-40 broadcaster may have numbered among the bunch taking that attitude. When, at the turn of the 1970s, I could begin collecting albums, I wanted to get Byrds LPs as soon as I could, and upon hearing this cut for the first time, I felt the group had exceeded my high expectations. The sound seemed to take some surprising turns, in light of their more well-known work, but I totally enjoyed the ride. I took note of both the jazz influence and the Indian classical leanings that shaped McGuinn's lead guitar riffs, and I relished the hints of Gregorian chant stylings in the vocal harmonies. I also knew, having flown to Europe in the summer of 1969 on a tour with my HS select choir, that airplanes crossing the Atlantic fly somewhere in the range of Eight Miles High (usually six or seven), so I understood the lyrics as a story of a tour to England, and I never gave much thought to the supposed druggie references in the lines. The intriguing musical innovations where The Byrds broke new ground in recordings like this one have inspired me to explore unusual harmonies and chord sequences, with one prime example of that influence being Marketplace - the Elder Street track which I posted as my September 2018 SoundCloud release, and which you can listen to by clicking on the title. So when you touch down, maybe you'll find that it's stranger than known, but maybe, in addition, you'll find that you like it that way - I know I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment