Sunday, October 7, 2018

Ignoring the Clock Won’t Help

Song 428: The playlist song for this week is Running Out Of Time by Joan Osborne, written by Joan Osborne and Louie Pérez, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I picked up a copy of Joan's then-current CD Righteous Love not long after catching her performance on a TV show back around the turn of the millennium, and from the first spin, I felt I had made a pretty good investment. A few years later, when a friend gave me an iPod for Christmas, RL numbered among the favorites that I soon added to that player. This cut, which opens the album, marks the 3rd appearance on this list of a track from that disc - If I Was Your Man is Song 274 and Righteous Love (the title track) is Song 342. I don't hear very much melody in modern music these days, and so I have always appreciated the melodic quality of Osborne's work, both in her lead vocals and in the accompanying riffs, with this recording providing a prime example of each. Any time this woman feels like bouncing anyone a message off the night sky, hopefully we'll all get it in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment