Sunday, September 9, 2018

A Lot Going On After Dark

Song 424: This week on the playlist you’ll find The City Never Sleeps At Night by Nancy Sinatra, written by Lee Hazlewood, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. At some point not too long after the record's release, I added These Boots Are Made for Walking (Song 352) to my singles collection, and it came with this shining B-side gem. I obviously wasn't the only one in my neighborhood enjoying the flip side of the hit - one day when delivering the newspaper to the restaurant/bar a few lots away from my parent's home, I heard it playing on the jukebox, which meant that one of the customers had invested some pocket change to relish this musical ride. The lyrics paint engaging pictures that, back then, looked like Manhattan to me, and mostly still do, though the moving images could fit a number of other lively nocturnal urban settings as well. The words and the music clearly portray the Big hellos and goodbyes while along the way Not a single ho-hum appears, which might actually answer the question of How come the city it never sleeps at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment