Sunday, April 29, 2018

Time to Make a Decision

Song 405: This week the playlist you will find Him or Me - What's It Gonna Be? by Paul Revere & the Raiders, written by Mark Lindsay and Terry Melcher, and you can check out a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. This 45 was blossoming around the same time as the May flowers during my sophomore year. I knew that those revolutionary rockers had a new hit, and I even knew its title, a couple of weeks before I got to actually hear it. While the older generation at church would rail against the Devil's music, my fellow fundamentalists in the church youth group shared my enthusiasm for RnR, so after one Sunday night service, a few of us had gathered at one member's family car for some reason, with, of course, the radio being on, and this record then lit up the airwaves, creating yet another memorable teenage music moment for me. I especially relished the vocal interplay in the verse sections, which sharply contrasts with the more rocking chorus parts and seemed a bit surprising the first time through. Well before Paul got to the line, So, if you'd be so kind, would you please make up your mind, I had already made up my mind about how much I liked this track, and 51 years later, it still sounds just as good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment