Monday, April 2, 2018

Advice About a Good Way to Move

Song 401: This week the playlist comes around to Walk This Way by Aerosmith, written by Steven Tyler and Joe Perry, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I guess it makes sense to follow up last week's saga about a Steppin' Stone with a musical suggestion about how to walk, and/or where to do so. From at least my HS days a decade earlier, the phrase that became the title of this track had been a standard joke that played on the dual meaning of the term, with comic scenes in TV shows and cartoons that toyed with those three words, so when the record came along, it seemed to have fulfilled some sort of destiny. Aerosmith got a lot of criticism back in the 1970s for sounding too much like Led Zeppelin, and that critique seemed accurate to me at the time, but I truly enjoyed their records anyway. Toys in the Attic got plenty of spins on my turntable, and this particular cut gave me a few clues about how to make certain moves. Maybe, like them, I was a high school loser too, but a little bit later in life, I appreciated it when Aerosmith came along and gave me the word about somethin' I missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment