Sunday, April 15, 2018

A Fantastic Way to Travel

Song 403: This week the playlist comes around to Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf, written by Rushton Moreve and John Kay. You can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When this hit came along in the fall of my HS senior year, a few people panned it as an obvious drug reference, and a celebration of hallucinogenics, but to me, it perfectly embodied the spirit of rock and roll that I had come to treasure. The record featured the kind of sound that grabbed me, and the lyrics spoke eloquently about the marvelous ride that the sound would provide as it moved the listener from here to there, going to places near and far, to the stars away from here. Nearly 50 years later, I still feel that fantasy will set you free if you let the sound take you away, and I personally don't need any chemistry to assist in catching the ride, but I also don't condemn those who feel that they do. For me, today, the same as 50 years ago, all I have to do to take that Magic Carpet Ride is to hear the record. All aboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment