Sunday, February 18, 2018

Figuring Out Directions

Song 395: Seven weeks after my last personal friend song post, this week the playlist track would be Toward the Road On the Left by my old San Francisco buddy Jim Bruno, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Jim and I both moved to the Bay Area from IL in the summer of 1978, though I don't think he thumbed his way there, which I did, and I arrived from the Chicago area, whereas he had lived further downstate, but we met soon after arriving, and I liked what I heard from him. I persuaded him and his sometime partner Shawn Colvin to make the scene at the Berkeley pizza joint where I had started spending time, and soon enough, they became part of that musical circle that included myself, Bob Nichols and Carol Denney, along with some other talented singer-songwriter types. Last spring, when I decided to put together a Spotify playlist called Me and My Songwriter Friends, I included Jim among the 19 melodic mates that enliven that experience, with this cut being one of the two JB numbers on it. I had only heard it shortly before I added it, but I think it aptly showcases Jim's gifts, and it sounds pretty good to me every time I hear it. You can find that Spotify playlist by clicking on the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment