Sunday, January 28, 2018

An Update on That Old Dance

Song 392: This week the playlist frolics to The Brand New Tennessee Waltz by Jesse Winchester, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. The early 1970s singer-songwriter trend didn't shower Jesse with the kind of attention shown to artists like James Taylor and Jackson Browne, but I liked what I heard from him, so before too long I added his eponymous debut LP to my collection, and that album included this cut. Having grown up listening to Pee Wee King's waltz (see last week’s post), this number became its obvious companion, and the new lyrics soon occupied a space in my memory quite close to the original set. Just as the first song became part of a classic country music foundation for me, so too did this one join a small core group of singer-songwriter recordings that informed and influenced my pursuit of the craft. If listening can make you feel like You're literally waltzing on air, you'll probably have a lot of respect for the man who penned the lines, even when he admits that There's no telling who will be there when you dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment