Sunday, January 14, 2018

Quantity Vs. Quality

Song 390: This week on the playlist you’ll find Too Much Of Nothing by Peter, Paul and Mary, written by Bob Dylan, and you can check out a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I first encountered this tune a few years after its release, during the height of my Dylan obsession, by hearing tracks from The Basement Tapes on the radio at the point in the early 1970s when they existed only as bootlegs. Bob's version pegged my meter, but I found the PPM record quite pleasing as well, and as the one version of the piece that I could buy at the time, I got to liking it even more when it became a regular spinner on my turntable. Four decades later, the lyrics can apply to the current era when a certain president can walk the streets and boast like most But he wouldn't know a thing (and he clearly doesn’t). Many workers, including some who expected the man to save their jobs, have already gotten Too Much Of Nothing from him, and I don't expect that pattern to get better any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment