Sunday, May 21, 2017

Luck of the Draw

Song 356: This week on the playlist you can hear Time of the Season by The Zombies, written by Rod Argent. In the honor society lounge during my last 2 years in HS, a few of us would actually do some studying occasionally, and the ping-pong table got plenty of use, but the most frequent activities were listening to 45s and playing cards, which were pleasures I didn't speak of at home since my extremely religious family did not approve of the devil's music or the devil's deck. I well remember one sunny late spring day in 1969 when 4 of us stepped out of the lounge door and sat down in the grassy area just outside of it to play a round of pinochle. It was the time of the season when our senior finals lurked on the horizon, but at that moment, we had no cares, and this record, though it had peaked a couple of months earlier, provided a perfect memorable piece of that game’s soundtrack. While I knew that the opening lyric used the word love, in my mind, as our pleasured hands passed cards to the sound of this singer’s lines, I translated the phrase to the time of the season when luck runs high, and indeed, it did for us, as my partner and I won the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment