Sunday, May 28, 2017

A Moving Experience

Song 357: This week the playlist comes around to There Goes My Heart Again by Holly Dunn, written by Joe Diffie, Lonnie Wilson and Wayne Perry. Is there some hidden meaning to the fact that last week's song title and this week's both start and end with the same letter? Mystery, or destiny, I certainly didn't plan for that, or even notice until I finished typing up the original bit. Anyway, back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, I listened to a lot of country radio, which sounded pretty good at the time, and while the songwriting didn't come across as musically adventurous, the so-called New Country of that era did feature clever word plays that I enjoyed, with this single serving as a prime example. I certainly understood, and appreciated, lyrics like my heart has a mind of its own, as I imagine plenty of listeners did. One of my songwriter friends said back then that the only place you could hear good songwriting on the radio was the country station, and I essentially agreed with him. Inspired by that style, I went on to craft my own country word play, called As Long as Merle is Still Haggard, and on the second half of the second verse, the line goes, but Dwight was only Yoakam when he said Eddie's Rabbitt died but after what Holly Dunn you should . . . Sadly, Holly died in November of last year, struck down by ovarian cancer at the age of 59. On a happier note, you can find the As Long as Merle is Still Haggard song video here.

No comments:

Post a Comment