Sunday, November 13, 2022

Fracture Barriers to Reach Opposite Conclusions

 Song 641: This week on the playlist you can hear Break on Through (To the Other Side) by the Doors, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. As the summer of 1967 arrived, some of us RnR fans scratched our heads when the Fab Four took on a very different Lonely Hearts Club appearance and sound, but around that time, a new L.A. quartet got everyone's attention with their fiery hit, and soon enough, plenty of my friends had a copy of their premier 33, so I thereby got to hear it frequently. During my final 2 HS years that disc got a lot of spins on the turntable that adorned the classroom where my colleagues and I put together the monthly student newspaper, to the point that when I remember those journalistic exercises, The Doors LP is the main - and sometimes the only - one that I associate with those gatherings, with this sizzling rocker being the opening lift on that enlivening jaunt. Last month I had the pleasure of meeting realist artist Susan Kapilow and getting to enjoy perusing the drawings she did of Jim Morrison. Not long after she received an award for a sculpture she did of his head, one day he appeared on her Manhattan doorstep, and she then had the opportunity that afternoon to sketch him as he hung out with her. Whether someone examining those images found an island in his arms and/or country in his eyes, I would say Susan's illustrations definitely made the scene!

No comments:

Post a Comment